Friday, January 18, 2008

Welcome One and All

Well this is my first post and I suppose it should introduce me, Ian, to you all.

Photobucket

I turned 50 in 2007 and in February of that year I obtained my motorcycle Learner's licence after deciding that I really wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle. Just like Toad of Toad Hall after he saw his first automobile, from that day on I was addicted, but in my case it was to the thrills and experiences associated with motorcycles and riding :)

In the months before I got my licence I had been constantly searching web sites, magazines and anywhere else related to motorcycles, for my very first bike. The bike that I eventually chose was going to have to take me through the first months of truely novice riding and then it would also need to satisfy my growing needs in being able to forgive me for small mistakes and also be a stable, comfortable riding platform for me to slowly learn the skills and techniques associated with becoming a competent rider. So, about 1 month after obtaining my licence, I took delivery of a brand new Suzuki GS500F, resplendent in its new pearl black and titanium grey colour scheme. I decided on a name for the bike - "Clyde" - given that I had always been taken by Triumph Bonnevilles, but due to engine size and power limitations for learners, I was not able to get my "Bonnie", so had to settle on my "Clyde" instead. this has been a great choice :)
GS500F,Ventura Bag and Rack,RJays tank bag,Laminar LipThis is a photo of Clyde in the driveway at home

In May 2007 I passed the Motorcycle Operators Skills Test (MOST) and because of my age and previous driving licence history was able to go straight onto an unrestricted motorcycle licence, without having to holed a Provisional Licence as younger, less experienced drivers and riders are required to do. Since getting the motorcycle I have travelled 8000kms, my longest single ride being on the 30th December 2007 from my home in Bathurst, NSW to Canberra (via Oberon, Taralga and Goulburn) and then return (via Yass, Boorowa, Cowra and Blayney). This was a day trip of just under 750 kms. You can see a report of that ride and some photos at this link:
http://www.twowheels.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8201

So there you have it. I'm nearly one year into my motorcycling adventure, having an absolute ball and I have found something that thrills, excites and enables me to get out and be free. this may sound a weird thing to say, but those who have a motorcycle and enjoy riding will know exactly what I mean :)

Ian :)

No comments: