Saturday, November 22, 2008

Fitting rear indicator extensions to the GS500F

Well with last than a week to go before my big ride down to Harrietville in the Victorian Snowies, I thought that I should fit my home made indicator extension brackets so that my panniers won't press against the indicators and bend them, wear them etc.

Fabricating the Extension Brackets

I made the indicator brackets a couple of weeks ago from aluminium flat bar bought from Bunnings. I measured the length required, then measured the locking slot that would fit around the Ventura Rack mounting bolt. I cut each piece of metal bar, then marked off the indicator mounting washer shape on each end, drilled, cut and finally filed each of the slots and mounting holes before finally bending the brackets to the required shape. I finally made a couple of backing plates that I would use to hold the bracket in place behind each side of the existing fender holes.

The finished brackets after a couple of coats of black gloss:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Removing the Existing Indicators and Fitting the Extension Brackets

Firstly I removed the Ventura Rack, but left the mounting brackets in place. Then I removed the seat, grab handle and the rear fairing.

I then disconnected the indicator wires from where they connect to the wiring loom. This was simple as they have bullet connectors. I then used some spare wire to fabricate some extensions for the wiring, placing male and female bullet connectors at each end of the wire. This wire would connect the existing indicator wires to the wiring loom, as the existing wires are not long enough when relocated to the extension brackets. The bullet connectors can be bought at Bunnings or any electronics shop.

The extension wires with male and female bullet connectors attached:

Photobucket

The following photographs show the process of installing the extension brackets:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: