Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ever had one of those great days .....

Ever had one of those great days......

Well this morning, with the rest of the family getting over their Relay for Life aches and pains, I decided to head downtown for a coffee at 10.00 and then go for a blat around the Mount, seeing as it was such a beautiful day.

So, after coffee I headed up the Mount, joined by a large number of people in cars and on bikes with a similar intention. I can still hear a friend on his Triumph Speed Triple heading up Mountain Straight and the climbing turns onto the top of the Mount at a Rally last year :)

Just a few pics to give those who haven't seen Mount Panorama before a little taste :)

Photobucket
Bottom of Conrod into The Chase

Photobucket
GMC Bridge with the Resort on the right. When will they open that???

Photobucket
Pit entrance road looking up to the top of the Mount

Anyway, having gone around the Mountain a couple of times (as one does), I decided that maybe I should go home via one of my motorcycle riding mate's backroad to his village, Eglinton, which branches off the Sofala Road. I got to the Eglinton turnoff and it was such a great day .. oh what the hell, I'll head out towards Sofala to Wiagdon and do the twisties out there ... :)

Photobucket
The road leaving Peel, big right hand sweeper :)

Photobucket
Couldn't resist this shot, nothing like Central West kangaroos !! :)

Got to Wiagdon, down to third and second and I hit the twisties climbing up to the top. What the hell, Sofala isn't far. How much fuel do I have? Should be OK to get back... and away I go :)

Photobucket
Main Street, Sofala

There were about 10 bikes in Sofala, all Harley's with their riders (and most had pillions as well), sipping coffee at the cafes.

Damn its a great day, maybe I should continue on to Ilford, I mean it is such a great day :)
About 10kms out of Ilford, the road crosses the ridgeline and between the trees is this great view of the hills and mountains over towards Kandos. I had to turn around to go back and take the shot (hence why the bike is facing the wrong way :)).
Photobucket

So on to Ilford with the Odometer reading 250kms when I got there and its 70kms to Lithgow. Ah what the hell, why not. A nice leisurely cruise down the road to Lithgow, through Capertee, the Bullens (Ben and Cullen), and past the power stations at Portland and Walerawang. Heading into one of the Bullens I was passed quite vigourously by a Randy Mamola replica BMW R1100S (very nice) and a BMW R1200GS. They turned off towards Portland and I'm sure it was the owner of a local Music shop here in Bathurst. He has a small collection of Beemers including a Randy Mamola replica. Past a group of bikes outside the pub, including a nice silver Sprint ST (drool), a wave to their riders awaiting lunch on the verandah and I'm off towards Lithgow.

I arrived at Lithgow with 320Kms on the odo and decided it was best to fill up first before thinking about lunch. Damn my bike is good. It only needed 14 litres and I still had 6 litres in the tank - another 130 Kms. Not to forget that the first 160kms or so travelled was in and around Bathurst over the past week ......... not too bad :) I think I'm going to notice the change in economy when I eventually upgrade from the GS500.

Anyway, by this stage its just gone 1.30pm and its lunch time, so I grab a sandwich and a coffee before heading along the highway back to Bathurst, finally getting home at 3.00pm with one very big grin on my face :)

I'll have to have a coffee and blat around the Mountain again ... soon !!

Ever had one of those great days .........

3 comments:

Rob said...

The memories of that great day is worth remembering for those other days which are not so nice. Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

Those are some great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Ride on,
Torch

Unknown said...

Man, it sure looks nice. I envy your weather down there, but then again I don't have to worry about Roos on the road - I suppose deer are no better, though. You're looking good and you've got it right, if you've got a good day make good use of it.

Brady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/