Sunday, March 8, 2009

Yogi's Bucko Ride 2009

Well, today was the day that the Sydney riders from the TwoWheels Forum were going to have a ride to remember our departed young legend Bucko, who tragically left us just over a year ago. I couldn't get down to Sydney for the ride, but finding myself with an unexpected short "ticket of leave" for an hour or so, I decided to head out on my own mini rememberance ride on a few of my own favourite motorcycling roads in the local area.

Here's a map of my route, leaving Bathurst on the red route and returning on the pruple one.
Photobucket

I left Bathurst, heading south down the Perthville, following the old Vale circuit for half of its length, via orton Park then on to Lagoon and O'Connell. From O'Connell I headed to Tarana. I love that part of the road where it follows the river about 5kms from O'Connell. I can see myself on the banks of the river there, flicking my fly rod over the ponds. On towards Tarana, down a lovely straight decsnding piece of road over a substantial concrete bridge crossing a small river then climbing up over a disused railway crossing. Again, this is a memorable piece of road, especially when travelling the other way back towards O'Connell. In this direction, the road bears right and then runs down hill towards the creek crossing the railway. For the unwary this can be an interesting crossing as the railway crossing is on a bit of a brow and taken at speed can result in some air time for the unwary rider. I refer to this rail crossing as Beast's Leap, after a fellow TWF member's experience here a few rides ago :)

Here are a couple of shots of Beast's Leap :)

Looking towards O'Connell just before the rail crossing
Photobucket

At the rail crossing looking towards O'Connel and the river and bridge in the middle distance
Photobucket

Anyway, back to the ride. From Beast's Leap it was on to Tarana, where there were 10 or so bikes outside the pub, their riders enjoying lunch in the beer garden. From Tarana it was on to Sodwalls, through the Rydal road crossroads and on to Lake Lyell and then South Bowenfels in Lithgow. A short detour here into Lithgow to grab some lunch and a drink before heading back to Hampton where I turned onto the Jenolan Caves Road at Hartley.

I love this road, especially the first part as I can get into a graceful sweeping ride through the corners at the start of this road. On through the locales of Wolgan Valley, Lowther and Hampton past the wind generators to the turn off for Oberon on the Duckmaloi Road.

I follow the Duckmaloi Road through its many climbing and descending stretches, twisties and sweepers into Oberon, which was again very popular today with riders enjoying lunch at the pub and the bakery next door. From Oberon it was back towards Bathurst along the O'Connell Road, this time passing through O'Connell and Brewongle on to Bathurst, with a final lap of Mount Panorama to end the ride.

The weather was fantastic for riding, dry, not too hot, a few clouds overhead to shade the sun at times and added to that some good music on the ipod made for a great couple of hours.

In memory of Bucko.

No comments: